Friday, October 28, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival - "Great Barrier Reef" Neptune quilt

Amy'sCreativeSide

Amy is hosting another Bloggers Quilt Festival so I thought that I would share a quilt that I made this time last year. I had bought a FQ bundle of Tula Pink's Neptune from the Craft and Quilt Fair in Brisbane last October as I loved the colours in them, not realising at the time that these gorgeous fabrics were so much sought after!
 When I got home I started looking for a pattern to use these in - I wanted something fairly straight forward though as this was only the third quilt that I was going to make. Then a few days later I saw the "Abracadabra" PDF pattern on Ros Mirringtons blog "Bloom" that she had just released and decided that it was one I could probably manage.
This was a great pattern as I actually can make  2 quilts from it - a bed size as well as a lap size. I just did straight line quilting along the sashing and borders.
 When I bought this fabric I chose it because of the lovely teals, greens and coral colours in it which matched our doona cover and it wasn't until I began sewing that I discovered the "hidden" sea creatures in amongst the designs - the seahorses and turtles are my favourites..
 I backed and bound the quilt in a dark blue batik like fabric which reminded me of the swirls of deep ocean waves. I think the simple design of this quilt shows off the gorgeous fabrics well.
 So head on over to Amys blog to see all of the other beautiful quilts and read the wonderful stories behind them.

Kirsten.

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I am only finding out about this whole bloggers quilt festival thing today and I am so excited about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics, and that is a great pattern to show them off! Excellent work, Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt! I love the colours and can see why you chose them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely. There's nothing like unwittingly falling for fabric that's become hens' teeth like, I'm discovering, but I think I'm slightly ahead of the game on the rarity of a couple of my recent faves, one of which happens to be Tula's Prince Charming range lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful and a great way to showcase those hidden images in the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I love your quilt and those colours are beautiful and really nice together!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Hungary. I love the asymmetrical quilt. The colors are beautiful. Very nice work. Fine in stapled

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt. I`m a big fan of Tula Pink and she really knows how to put colour together. I love this design and it really showcases the fabric. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt. The quilt design is perfect for the fabrics. You're very adventuresome, doing a bed size quilt for your 3rd quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this line and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fun fabrics with hidden treasures. Your quilt is so charming and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a nice simple quilt with white,they seem to just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty!!! Great job! Love how fresh and colorful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful. I love the design that showcases the fun fabrics in such a fresh way...if only I can find some of this fabric, I think it would be perfect for a quilt for my sister! =)

    I like your blog by the way -- keep up the great work...it's one of the reasons I love the quilters blog festival - so I can find some fun new blogs to read

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! Neptune is so great and you chose a great pattern to highlight it! I'm one of those Neptune junkies, so I identified it from the little thumbnail :) Great job - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quilt out of beautiful fabrics. Really like this and sent the url to my daughter who's wanting to showcase some great fabrics she has. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so lovely! I also have a stack of Tula Pink fabric (Prince Charming) that I have been going back and forth on which pattern I should use. Abracadabra is actually kind of perfect! Thanks for sharing the pattern and for sharing the beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and I also pinned the photo of your quilt to my Pinterest collection!
    http://pinterest.com/jenelle_eanda/

    ReplyDelete
  19. That quilt is beautiful! I only managed to find a honeybun of the Neptune fabric. I had never seen it until it was already out of print. Good job snagging some before!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete