Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Amy Butler "Love" Starflower

I have finally finished my "Love" starflower quilt – just in time too as it was over 30 deg C (86F) on the weekend!
There was just enough flannel to turn it over and machine stitch down for “cheater-binding“, firstly doing a zig-zag stitch along the raw edges to ensure it doesn’t fray too much. 
I did straight line quilting about an inch apart in the white areas and echo stitching along the printed fabrics. 
I haven't done many pieced backings as I tend to use a single large piece of wide backing fabric instead, but I really like how this has turned out and the flannel is so lovely and soft. 

We went away for a few days to celebrate my parents 70th birthdays (Mums was in August and Dads in October) so I took some pictures of the quilt at the amazing place where we stayed.
It was called Barefoot Oasis and is located in the Byron Bay hinterland - it had a lovely pool as well as a cute little “Bali Hut” overlooking the green valley.
 There were lots of black cockatoos flying around screeching loudly and we also managed to  find the resident koala just before we left, although she soon disappeared due to a huge storm that came through that evening. 
Linking to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations and to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory (buttons in left sidebar).
Kirsten.

14 comments:

  1. Kirsten, I really like this! The quilting is just lovely. Congrats on an awesome finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this line of fabric so much and you have done it justice 10 times over with this absolutely beautiful quilt. I love it. It`s a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten it turned out fab! Love the quilting, its gorgeous. And I am so jealous lookng at those photos of your trips away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous and I wish I had place like that to do photo shoots instead of my weed ridden back garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten, it turned out incredible! The straight line quilting in the background is wonderful and such a great contrast to the flowy florals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt, love the idea of one giant star like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's lovely! i've been seeing more and more quilts like this, and now i'm convinced that i have to make one too! i love the quilting you did, especially on the white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fab, Kirsten! I love the dense quilting surrounding the star, and am totally jealous of your photo shoot locale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt. The quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant quilt! I love the echoing you did and the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It look utterly gorgeous Kirsten! Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt! The fabric, quilting and backing are all wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete