Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Fabric Tuesday - Rugby stripes throw

My spare time is spent doing crafty things - usually sewing or scrapbooking, but my husband enjoys football, whether it be playing or watching any of the numerous codes (AFL, league, union) played here in Australia. He has now played over 100 games of rugby union for and as the oldest member of the team has the nickname of "Dad". His club is often doing fundraising so I decided to make a picnic rug/throw quilt using the team's colours of red and black that they will be able to use as part of a raffle prize. 
After seeing some Denyse Schmidt rugby stripes quilts, I used strips of red, black and white to give it the appearance of a rugby jersey. I did a QAYG method for attaching the strips and it is backed in some black polar fleece which is nice and soft.
This quilt is about 60 x 80" (1.5 x 2 m) so is large enough for even one of those great big rugby players to use!
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.
Finish Along 2014
This was on my list of finishes for the 2nd quarter FAL hosted by Katy @ The Littlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a rad idea. My best friend plays rugby and I'm sure she'd LOVE a rugby-inspired quilt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats with a finish - I always like seeing finishes for the men in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's anything like here, wrapping yourself up in the thing during a game would be the way to go lol

    ReplyDelete