Friday, May 31, 2013

A Super Duper Tote bag

My Super tote is done and I just love it! Had a slight hiccup when the light on my sewing machine went out - I tried using a desk lamp so that I could see what I was sewing, but it is all sorted with a new bulb though:)
Once all of the pieces were cut out this bag came together fairly quickly. I chose fabrics to coordinate with the colours in the Eli spoonflower print from Valentina Ramos - the straps and gusset are made from a charcoal linen/cotton blend.
I lined the front pocket with a lovely lime homespun, and added in a magnetic snap closure. I didn't use piping but just followed the suggestion from Kelly @ Kelbysews to leave about 1/4 of an inch of the lime lining showing on the front.
Annas pattern has two elastic pockets on the inside of the bag but I only made one for one side of the lining and I put a zippered pocket with a groovy green zip on the other side. The orange print on the outside is one from Denyse Schmidt's Aunt Edna range, and the lining on the inside is a bright fuchsia homespun.
I also made a little key fob/tab thingy to hang my keys from as this bag is really, really big and they would easily be lost in the bottom of it.
A ususal, my kitty had to come and investigate what I was doing in the garden:)


Linking to TGIFF with Lucy at Charm About You.
Plum and June 
And with the Lets Get Acquainted Monday Link Up hosted by Annabella at Lifes Rich Pattern.
Fresh Poppy Design
Also with Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

21 comments:

  1. You have one a fantastic job! I love the bright colour combinations and the trick of having a piping effect without the fiddliness of piping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great fabrics you mixed together for this bag. It sure looks like it is a nice size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten, it looks amazing. I love the variety of prints and solids that you used. I also didn't do piping and I like it a lot without.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Kirsten it's AWESOME, I love it, I definitely have to make one!! Love your fabric choices, it's such a great looking bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks wonderful .. so bright and vibrant x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful Kirsten - I love the fabrics, the colour, the design - and those elasticated pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a terrific job of this Kirsten! I love the Spoonflower print! And kitty looks pretty happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a groovy bag - very fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely tote bag! And very useful too!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Utterly gorgeous! Love the colours! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so gorgeous - it looks fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! Looks like a really nice pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way cute! Love the lime green.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bag! I love the grey gussets and handles with the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tote looks great! I have this on my list of projects to do.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete