Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WIP - Modern mini challenge

There is a new challenge over at Ellison lane quilts involving a blog hop for some creative inspiration as well as a Modern Mini quilt contest.
Modern Mini Challenge
 As Jennifer says, this is the perfect opportunity to try out some quilting ideas on a smaller scale……so I decided to make a mini quilt based on a design that I have really wanted to do since I first saw it late last year 
I used about 9-10 shades of slightly different colours to the original as I just wanted to use up what I had in my stash and I seem to have a lot of blues and teal/greens as they are my favourite colours. They are all solids and there is a mix of cotton, linen, and organic cotton fabrics.
I drew up the design on graph paper and worked out the approximate shapes/sizes needed to make the blocks. I made a small hourglass type block to start with then added triangular shapes similar to flying geese to those before piecing the remainder of the each of the 4 blocks in each colourway. Needless to say I became very good friends with my seam ripper during this whole process !
Then sewed them all together to make a mini quilt which is about 26 inches square including the border. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to quilt it.............

Other WIP: I have a few projects due by the end of February so they have first priority:)

-Baby Swoon quilt
-For the Love of Solids 2 project done
-Mango Tango Zig Zag quilt
-Quilt process mini quilt
-DSQ Swoon: still only 1/9 blocks made
-Sparkle Plenty "Ruby"

Linking to WIP Wednesday with Lee at Freshly Pieced and to Pieceful Iife with Elizabeth..
Kirsten.

17 comments:

  1. Your mini is awesome! Very original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Kirsten, that mini is stunning! You have aced another pattern in your inimitable way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, very cool, glad you got to tackle it in the end

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! When I saw the album cover I wondered if someone might make a quilt of it! I discovered Gotye a couple of years ago (I'm in Canada) and am so glad to see other people in Canada and the US are finally catching on to what a musical genius he is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love this! Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my oh my! Love Gotye and love this min!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! That is incredible. Love the detail and the colours. It's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kirsten, your mini is wonderful! I look forward to seeing your quilting....well done : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. That`s amazing Kirsten!! How clever are you?? I love teals and greens and blues too and I love the pop of orangey reds. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic! Can't wait to see it finished and what binding you'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, I totally thought the same thing when I saw their album cover, how cool that you made it! It looks awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning little quilt! Beautiful! I'll be interested to see how you decide to quilt it!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG - look what I just posted!!
    http://flyingblindonarocketcycle.blogspot.com/2012/03/modern-mini-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. The firs time I saw the CD cover I immediately thought of making a quilt! I haven't though. Yours turned out fantastic! Love your use of colors.

    ReplyDelete