Sunday, April 28, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted Link-Up

Beth from Plum and June hosted a wonderful "get to know you" Blog Hop last year with lots of fab tutorials and this year it is continuing with a Monday Link-up.
Plum and June
This week I am hosting the Monday Link-up party, and thought I'd share a few of the bee blocks that I have been working on lately as this is the first year that I have been involved in quilting bees. I have joined some local Bee groups here in Australia - the AusModBee and the Simply Solids Bee (Fallow group) and it has been so lovely to get to know these groups of ladies a bit better over the months we have been sewing together. 
Bees are a great way to learn different techniques for making blocks that you may not have tried before or even just making something in a style that you would not usually do. And the most exciting part is when you start to receive the blocks back from everyone! I chose the X and + blocks using this tutorial for my month as Queen Bee in the Simply Solids group and have received most of the blocks back now  - everyone has made the most amazing blocks and I just love them in the solids! So I am planning to do something like this with gray sashing and coloured corner stones inbetween the blocks... 
And I spent quite a bit of time last week cutting up a big bundle of Chicopee fabric to send out to my fellow AusMod bee members for them to make some AMH feathers which are something that I have loved ever since I saw Annas pattern but wasn't sure that I could make them all myself. We made the feathers for Lorena earlier this year and she even organised templates which were fabulous to use.
I have picked up a few tips from other bee members already about sending out the parcels of fabric - apart from ensuring that you send out enough fabric which can actually be quite tricky to calculate, it is helpful to include printed address labels for the return of the blocks, and always write a return address on the back of the envelope in case the parcel goes astray. And after having a problem with the orientation of part of one of the blocks I made last week, it is a good idea to post a pic of the blocks on flickr or instagram before you mail the blocks off as sometimes these little mistakes aren't so obvious and then you have time to fix them:) 
I also don't know what we would do without those handy zip-lock bags as they are perfect for keeping everything together safe and dry should the package get wet!
So now it is your turn! What have you been up to and what have you got planned!
Plum and June
Here are the rules for the link-up party:
  1. Link up any recent crafty post. 
  2. In your post or on your blog, please include either a text link or a button letting people know about this link up. 
  3. Visit at least the two bloggers who link up before you and everyone who visits you from this post. 
  4. When the link asks for your name, tell me the name of your pet or the name of your favourite animal character from a movie or book. My cats name is "Simba" whom we named after the character in The Lion King -  when I was growing up we had a ginger tabby named "Tiger" and a black cat named "Panther" after Shere-Khan in The Jungle Book. I also love elephants so Dumbo is another favorurite character of mine.


Kirsten.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten! So much beautiful blocks! I love the x and + pattern and I think solids are the best for that! Great colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kirsten! Your blocks are wonderful. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap. I'm in love with your use of vivid colors! Those blocks look so amazing. Pinning for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your blocks! The "x" was a stroke of genius. Thanks for the info - I just joined a bee within my MQG and I'm trying to decide what I want my quilt to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh looks like a bunch of beautiful chicopee fabrics and a ton of cutting! :). Kitty also looks quite comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting. Your + and x blocks look amazing in solids, great choice :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post Kirsten...Thanks for hosting this week. I love all those solid blocks. That quilt is going to be awesome when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks Kirsten! How fun that you are hosting - hoping to link up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, your x and + blocks look great - hopefully you get mine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great Bee blocks! Your x and + look so great in solids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make the best blocks, always. And I love your idea of Chicopee feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blocks all together...and chicopee... ah drool.. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This year I was tempted to join some bees and just...didn't. I'm thinking I will have to make bees a priority pretty soon. They seem like a great way to meet people, and I LOVE to make just one or two blocks of a pattern to try it out. Thank you so much for hosting this week's link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your blocks. I have been on a bee break since the end of last summer but I signed up for 3x6 starting on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your solid blocks. Pretty kitty. I am linking up today. I have two quilty kitties and have had too many well loved kitties to pick a favorite. Katniss is the one who is helping me in my post today. Thanks for hosting ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely blocks! I joined in with bees this year, too. One for fun and one for charity. It is so fun being part of a group and watching the quilts come together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Kirsten. I joined my first bee this year and it has been so much fun.
    I love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blocks are going to be amazing. Love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kirsten
    Your blocks are all gorgeous! Thanks for hosting this weeks link up!
    Jan (mississippi chihuahua)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous blocks! You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for hosting! Your X blocks are so pretty and modern! Love it!

    ReplyDelete