Sunday, August 28, 2016

"Butter Cake" Walk quilt

As soon as I saw the "Cakewalk" quilt pattern by Camille @ Thimbleblossoms, I knew that it would be the perfect quilt for my stash of Bonnie and Camille fabrics.
Although this pattern is written for a Layer Cake, you can also go scrappy and it is a great way to use up a variety of prints.
These blocks are fairly easy to sew and the whole quilt came together quite quickly once all of the cutting was done.
I even added in some of the pretty new "Little Ruby" fabrics.
Although the Moda black Crossweave fabric is quite hard to source here in Australia, I have found a good alternative in a charcoal shot cotton.
I have used this shot cotton a few times before (True Love pillow, Foxy Loxy Mini quilt, and Flower patch mini quilt) and the dark colour really makes the prints stand out.
One of the nice things about B&C fabrics is that all of the ranges go really well together as they all feature the main colours of aqua and red.
I quilted this with the Serpentine stitch, and used some of the Red Dot print from Marmalade for the backing, along with the red crosshatch print from Daysail for the binding.
The area around where we live is known for its dairy industry with the local company Norco producing milk, butter, cheese and ice cream.
The huge butter churn where I took these photos is from the Norco buttery factory across the river which still produces dairy products.
My husband even grew up on a dairy farm supplying milk to the factory in the late 1960's - early 1970's.
I named this quilt "Butter Cake" as it is my daughters favourite cake, and although she has recently been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, we have found a good Gluten Free Butter cake mix which I am going to make next month for her birthday...
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory.
2016 FAL
This was on my FAL Q3 list for this year so linking up with the 2016 FAL team.
Kirsten.

3 comments:

  1. Those fabric do play nicely together don't they Kirsten! And what an interesting backdrop you chose; matching the title of the quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I LOVE aqua and red together...that's my daughter's colors in her nursery. I usually like bright quilts with white but the charcoal is really nice here! I'm glad you could find a gluten free butter cake. I'm gluten free and find there are a lot more gluten free foods now, which is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is a lovely, a great finish! I love the giant butter churn too. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete