Sunday, May 29, 2016

Tula Pink "Pixel Perfect" quilt

A quilt that has been on my to-do list for a while is the Tula Pink "Pixel Perfect" quilt which was a pattern included with one of the early issues of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine.
So when the Eden fabric was released last year, I decided to make a start on it as the animal prints were just what I needed for the blocks
I dug into my stash and pulled fabrics from many Tula lines - Prince Charming, Acacia, Bumble, Eden, Fox Field, Elizabeth, Moon Shine, The Birds and The Bees, and True Colours. 
The background fabric is a charcoal Prima solid which really makes the vibrant colours of the Tula prints pop!
The "A" blocks required a large square so they were perfect for fussy cutting the prints that I wanted to feature in the quilt.
I was still working on the blocks when Chipper was released so I couldn't resist sewing a few more with the Chipmunks and foxes.
When it was all done, I cleared as much space as I could on my loungeroom floor to lay out all of the blocks...
After much rearranging, I decided to go with a colour gradient as it seemed to work with the prints I had used.
For the backing, I bought some of the lovely Freefall in navy as I really loved the minty birds.
This 90" square quilt was then sent off to my LQS "Rainbow Patchwork" for Karen to quilt. 
To finish it all off, I used the mosaic print in Glacier from Eden for the binding, then on a glorious but windy day, we went for a drive to Nimbin (NSW) for some photos.  
This area is known as the "Rainbow Region" so it was only appropriate that I took my colourful Tula quilt here for a quilty photoshoot with the Nimbin Rocks in the background. 
And the finishing touch for the quilt was a label that the Tula herself signed when she was doing her trunk shows over here in Australia.
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory.
2016 FAL
This was on my FAL Q2 list for this year so linking up with the 2016 FAL team.
Kirsten.

11 comments:

  1. OH MY this gorgeous! I love how many of Tula's lines you used. I'll go share on the FAL fb page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the fussy cut fabrics and extra details visible on closer inspection! The Nimbin Rocks are a spectacular landmark set in a beautiful region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kirsten! It's a lovely, lovely quit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt!!! The pattern is interesting, modern and different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on using your stash and a gorgeous finish it is indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!! I love that you went with the colour gradient and such pretty fussy cuts! Stunning pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much amazing fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fantastic quilt! I love the way you used all the Tula Pink fabrics, they work so well with this pattern and the dark background. And a great finish too! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing finish - the overall effect of the quilt is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt...I would like to tackle this Tula Pattern this year, any idea where I might buy it? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete